My family had Christmas a few days late due to scheduling conflicts. I think my mother was feeling guilty about our last few Christmases because holy overcompensation batman I was spoiled this year:
- hp Pavilion g6 laptop (which was on my list half-joking, like when you circled that Huffy on the last page of the Toys ‘R Us catalog)
- no!no! hair removal system
- Bakon - bacon flavored vodka (proof my parents know me, despite all evidence to the contrary)
- three Victoria Secret bras (a Christmas staple as I can never justify the price to myself the other 364 days of the year)
- three books (if on a winter’s night a traveler by Italo Calvino, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, and The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon)
- and lastly, a 12 piece stainless steel pots and pan set that she got on some ridiculous clearance that basically amounted to Macy’s paying her to take them.
The other gifts are from my sister (my best friend) and although not as flashy are obviously from the person who knows me best in the world:
- three pairs boxer briefs
- Avengers Boxers/pajamas
- orange Adidas track jacket
- four Moleskine notebooks
- two ridiculous flamingo-themed accessories
- a Star Wars office trashcan
- and tweed gloves
Before you think I’m the holiday version of a pillow princess: I got my sister 6 bottles of Moscato, the DKNY perfume she likes and tickets to see Coppélia in May. We got the folks a ridiculous array of things, as usual. Mostly clothes (mentionable: semi-formal jackets for them both) and kitchen accessories (my father is a chef, my mother loves to bake) including a food processor and waffle maker. The big-ticket item being a wine cooler, which was a huge hit with my wino folks.
Christmas 2012 I think is going to go down as our most successful Christmas to date. Everyone liked everything - rarity - and I think no one person spent an egregious amount more than anyone else on the gifts - which shouldn’t matter, but we all know it does on some level, it’s why in non-immediate-family swaps there are always price minimum/maximums. My extended family Christmas wasn’t nearly as perfect gift wise (if anyone wants the dvd double-feature of A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey - movies I love but already own - that I got in the yankee swap, drop me a line and it’s yours), but the turn out was our best yet and the cocktails were free and delicious and many.
Anyway, happy belated Christmas everybody and a Happy New Year too.